What Are the Signs and Symptoms of Alcohol Poisoning?
Becoming intoxicated by alcohol can be dangerous, whether it is beer, wine or spirits, alcohol poisoning is a risk. It can become so severe, that it will be a medical emergency. Some of the effects of alcohol intoxication include euphoria and decreased social inhibition, which is what makes the drug dangerous and addictive. Acute alcohol poisoning will include the following:
- unpredictable behavior and mood, along with severe confusion
- experiencing laps of unconsciousness leading to alcoholic amnesia
- vomiting, which can occur while unconscious or semi-conscious
- the person's skin will become clammy, pale, or blue because of lack of oxygen
- there is a possibility for seizures
- respiratory depression leading to a coma or death
Ethanol or alcohol is essentially a poison and large amounts of the drug or the consistent regular use of it will do serious damage. Alcohol poisoning is a real risk and is a common problem among young adults in the United States.